Devra practices in the fields of insurance defence, insurance coverage and general civil litigation, with a focus on fidelity insurance and fraud recovery, as well as the defence of professionals under liability policies. Prior to joining FCL LLP, Devra practiced at a boutique litigation firm, where she acted for clients in a range of complex litigation matters involving class actions, privacy law and insurance defence. She has appeared before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Divisional Court, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, and the Court of Queen’s Bench for Saskatchewan.
Devra earned her law degree at Queen’s University. During law school, Devra won third place team at the Wilson Moot and received the McDougall-Watson Memorial Award for her commitment to Queen’s Legal Aid Clinic. She was also a research assistant, an academic tutor (including in respect of the law of evidence) and an editor of the Queen’s Law Journal. Prior to law school, Devra attended McMaster University, where she earned several scholarships and awards for academic achievement, leadership and contributions to the university community.
- Queen’s University Faculty of Law, J.D., 2018
- McMaster University, B. Arts Sc (Honours), 2015
Call to Bar
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2019
Memberships & Community Involvement
- The Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- “Tell Them The North Remembers: Canadian Courts Follow American Courts’ Lead in Interpreting Social Engineering Fraud Coverage” ABA Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Newsletter (Winter 2022)
- Daniel S. Melamed and Devra Charney, “Some Tips for Mediation and Arbitration: When, Why and How to Be Effective” (2019) 13th Family Law Summit, Law Society of Ontario.
- Matt Maurer and Devra Charney, “Cannabis Retail: Municipal Opt-Outs & Inability to Pass By-Laws” (2018) Public Sector Digest.
- Robert Cockcroft, Devra Charney et al, “New Interdisciplinary Science Course for First-Year Faculty of Science Students” (2016) 9 Collected Essays on Teaching and Learning 43.