Nicole A. McAuley
Nicole’s practice focuses on employment litigation, human rights claims, professional liability, and municipal liability. Nicole also advises clients on employment law issues relating to hiring, human rights, discipline, and termination, including drafting policies and procedures, employment agreements, and termination packages.
Nicole has successfully represented clients in various levels of the courts in Ontario, including the Divisional Court, as well as in the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, and multiple professional tribunals.
Notable matters Nicole has been involved with include having:
- acted for a national sports organization in a trial related to breach of contract and athletes’ rights, in which the organization was wholly successful in defeating the claim;
- represented numerous organizations in wrongful dismissal claims that were resolved summarily on favourable terms for the employers;
- appeared as lead counsel for a students’ organization before the Ontario Divisional Court to defend a judicial review application, which was successfully defeated;
- represented a provincial sports organization before the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal regarding a claim of age discrimination against an athlete, for which the organization was wholly successful in defeating the claim; and
- appeared as lead counsel for numerous summary judgement and dismissal motions before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in professional negligence matters.
Nicole attended law school at the University of Manitoba and obtained her J.D. in 2011. Prior to attending law school, Nicole completed her Bachelor of Arts at McMaster University with a major in English Literature; she graduated with honours.
Nicole is the National Chair of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society.
Call to Bar:
Memberships & Community Involvement:
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- PLUS Canada, Chair